Thursday, January 24, 2013


I do everything possible to make my meals and drinks from scratch. There are exception to the rules, but in general that is my style.  It is winter and if you are looking for something warm and sweet to get you through a cold day, give homemade apple cider a try.  Most apple ciders come in a package and in the package......well I am not sure what is in the package. I mean it is a powder with apple flavoring.  Ewww, ( I am sure I made something similar to that in organic chemistry lab in college) but  I like making mine from real apples.  I just juice my apples and lighlty heat it up.  My kids love it! And you can juice more than you need and keep it in a mason jar in the frig. Then it will be ready whenever you would like some.  Typically use it in 2-3 days.  You can also take it with you do work or where-ever.  Add a little bit of hot water to it and you are good to go. 

I have been really consisted with my running. Our winter weather has been great. I think this is the most miles I have ever accumluated in the months of  Dec and Jan. 

My meals have been pretty much the same. I am trying to use all that I have in the house before we have to make our next run to the wholesaler.  Still have a few sweet potatoes left, they should be gone soon. I think I will get a case of red potatoes next. I like rotating different potatoes. We buy in bulk and shop every 2 weeks, so much cheaper. I guess if you like variety everyday this would not be for you. A case of potatoes lasts our family two weeks. Potatoes and quinoa are a huge staple for us right now. Come spring when more fruit is  available, I will make my evening meal just all fruit, like one meal will be 2lbs of grapes plus 2lbs of strawberries. Oh I can't wait for spring when we can get cases of grapes and strawberries!

Today's menu:
breakfast- steel cut oatmeal, with raisins and dried figs, some granola for crunch, 1/4 apple and maple syrup.
run 8 mile 2400' vertical
lunch - white rice, broccoli, veggie burger, onion and tomato
snack - 2 apples
dinner - sweet potato and chickpeas

Yes I am a carb person.  And this week I got 10,000 feet of vertical climbing. To most ultra runners it doesn't seem alot but it is January and there has been a lot of ice and snow and wind. So for me getting this much in, in 4 days, in January is great. I am hoping to consistanly get 10,000 feet weekly in, then I will be ready to double that this spring. I am looking to pick up a 50k in March and a 50 miler in April.



No comments:

Post a Comment